Inspiring Life from the Core

Library Login

Call Us

Call Us

Inspiring Life from the Core

Library Login

Call Us

The Wellness of Wellbeing

written by Carol Crincoli, Pure Pilates Director

Has anyone ever said to you, “I am concerned about your well-being.” It’s such a loaded statement depending on the circumstances, but also confusing and vague.  Wellbeing, defined by the Oxford English Dictionary, is “the state of being comfortable, healthy or happy.” I just love how they use the word “OR”. You may not be happy, but you’re healthy so kudos to you! 

I am continually striving for contentment. Like many, I find myself navigating highs and lows, but I crave authentic happiness and satisfaction in my life. I believe consistency is key to having any chance of achieving contentment and improving our wellbeing is a great place to start.

I share 5 suggestions to help you focus on your well-being.  My personal goal is to touch upon each one every day, but that may seem a bit overwhelming for some. Pick one and try to incorporate it into most days. After a week or maybe a month, notice if you see any improvements.  You’ll be surprised how attending to yourself and focusing on what you need can make a world of difference in your overall health.

 

1. Let the sunshine in! Boost your vitamin D with sunlight.  Exposure to sunlight releases serotonin from the brain which can improve your mood and help you to focus.

2. Move your body.  Now, I did not say exercise, but yes, working out is movement so if that’s your go-to, perfect.  Adding movement throughout your day can elevate your mood, decrease aches and pains and improve your focus.

3. Fuel your body with healthy things. Eating more whole foods and staying hydrated gives us the energy we need to conquer each day.  It’s not about dieting or “being perfect” when it comes to our food choices.  Elizabeth Girouard from Pure Simple Wellness uses the 80/20 rule when it comes to your dietary choices.  That means eating healthful foods 80% of the time, and saving your indulgences for the other 20%. No deprivation.

4. Sleep. Getting a restful, full night’s sleep is important for restoring our bodies.  It helps boost the immune system so we get sick less often. And like all the previous suggestions, sleep aids in a better mood and increased focus and concentration.

5. Connect.  If the past few years have taught us anything, it’s that we need human connection for a better quality of life.  Interacting with others and building relationships has a major impact on our physical, mental, and emotional health.  Social isolation is bad for our overall health.

 

There are oodles of ways to give yourself the gift of self-care. Maybe you journal or meditate or disconnect from your electronics. I’d love to hear the tools that help you with your health and wellbeing. 

Related Articles

The Client Chronicles: Maribeth Sheridan

The Client Chronicles: Maribeth Sheridan

written by Carol Crincoli, Pure Pilates DirectorMaribeth SheridanSince Carol opened the studio. Fall, 2008?My 2 friends did personal training with Carol and when she opened the studio they encouraged me to try Pilates.I started privates with Tiffany when Covid began...

read more
Client Testimonial: Maureen Alvidrez

Client Testimonial: Maureen Alvidrez

written by Kathy Celardo, Pure Pilates Instructor“I introduced neuro movement to my high schooler with Letter Ball in the school year following the COVID lockdown as his work habits had been upended and then he was attending school in-person or virtually, depending on...

read more

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *